Monthly Archives: January 2024
Optometric Physician Dr. Brandon J. Wuzzardo presents South Jersey Eye Associates “Eye on Vision” for January.
January is glaucoma awareness month. According to the American Optometric Association, glaucoma is the second-leading cause of blindness in the United States, with the most common form of glaucoma typically having no warning signs. Therefore, a comprehensive dilated eye exam is essential for diagnosis and to monitor any changes.
As glaucoma can affect anyone at any age, the following factors can increase your risk:
• Being over the age of 60.
• Being African American.
• A family history of glaucoma.
• Certain medical conditions including diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
• Having experienced physical injuries to the eye.
• Other eye-related risk factors include thinner corneas, optic nerve sensitivity, retinal detachment, eye tumors, and eye inflammation.
• Prolonged use of corticosteroids.
Learn more about your risk for Glaucoma by speaking with your doctor here at South Jersey Eye Associates. Schedule an appointment today.