January is Glaucoma Awareness Month
Optometric Physician Dr. Brandon J. Wuzzardo presents South Jersey Eye Associates “Eye on Vision” for January.
Glaucoma is a leading cause of irreversible vision loss and blindness in the United States. With glaucoma typically having no symptoms in its early stages, early detection through a comprehensive dilated eye exam and treatment with medication or surgery can help reduce severe vision loss from glaucoma.
Anyone can get glaucoma, but the following factors can increase the risk:
• Being over the age of 60.
• Being African American.
• A family history of glaucoma.
• Certain medical conditions including diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
• Having experienced physical injuries to the eye.
• Other eye-related risk factors including thinner corneas, optic nerve sensitivity, retinal detachment, eye tumors, and eye inflammations.
• Prolonged use of corticosteroids.
Contact SJEA today to schedule an appointment to learn more about Glaucoma and ensure you and your family has their best vision possible. We look forward to seeing you soon!