Monthly Archives: February 2020
Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of vision loss and blindness among adults ages 50 and older. It gradually destroys the macula, which is the part of the eye that provides sharp, central vision.
The risk of losing vision from AMD can be lowered by doing the following:
• Have a comprehensive dilated eye exam at least once a year if you are age 60 or older.
• Exercise regularly and control your weight.
• Quit smoking.
• Eat more leafy green vegetables and fish.
• Keep your blood pressure normal.
• Keep your cholesterol levels low.
AMD cannot be cured, but it can be treated to keep it from getting worse. In some cases, people’s vision can get better. Catching AMD early is important to protect your eyesight.
Learn more about AMD by speaking with one of our doctors. Schedule an appointment today.